Friday, January 10, 2014

Disneyland - "Food for Thought"

You have probably heard the quote,
"Food tastes better when you eat it with your family."
Well, I would like to make one minor adjustment:
"Food tastes better when you eat it at Disney!"

My husband and I love good food!  Vacations, for us, have a tendency to turn into food-finding adventures.  Well, our trip to Disneyland was no different.  And we all know, Disney does food well!


Our morning in Disneyland started off like so many, first it was all about the pictures as we oohed and awed over the sites just inside the gates.  Then it was off to find a snack!

We found a delicious snack at Maurice's Treats stand:  a Cheddar Garlic Bagel Twist.  It was fantastic!


This is a wonderful treat to split as it is HUGE!  It consists of a twisted bagel baked with garlic and cheese.  The garlic taste was not overwhelming (in other words, I didn't taste garlic all day, nor did I feel like I needed to find a toothbrush immediately).  The cheese was more of a baked in cheese, so it wasn't stringy or messy (a definite plus in my book).  I certainly recommend this snack!


You can find Maurice's Treat stand just to the front left of Sleeping Beauty's castle beside the entrance of the Royal Theater.


After a few rides and a lot more pictures it was time for lunch.  We headed to Plaza Inn on Main Street USA.

The Plaza Inn is full of history as it has been around since the park opened in 1955.   When the park first opened, this restaurant went by another name, and included an area for Walt Disney and his guests.  Now everyone can enjoy the wonderful food and Victorian decor that was chosen by Walt's wife, Lillian Disney.


I chose the house specialty, Fried Chicken with Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans & a Biscuit.  Wow!  It was delicious!


My husband had the Chicken Pesto Alfredo Pasta with a Bread Stick.  This is one of his favorite dishes, and he really enjoyed The Plaza Inn's version.


The Plaza Inn also hosts character breakfasts.  Reservations required.



Mid-afternoon we decided to share another snack.  We were in Tomorrowland at the time, so we popped over to Tomorrowland Terrace, a quick-service walk-up counter, and purchased a Mickey Ice Cream Sandwich.  These never get old!  The cookies and cream ice cream inside, and the happy Mickey smile on the outside really make this treat special!


Finally, we had dinner at the French Market Restaurant in New Orleans Square.  It was awesome!


The outdoor seating of this restaurant is adjacent to the Haunted Mansion.  During the Halloween and Christmas seasons, the Haunted Mansion gets a total makeover to Haunted Mansion Holiday - fully themed after The Nightmare Before Christmas.  This is a favorite movie of mine, so I was delighted to hear the instrumental versions of my favorite songs from the movie filling the air as we ate our dinner.

In addition to the ambiance, the food was wonderful as well!

I had the Red Beans & Rice with Andouille Sausage & a Jalapeno Cornbread Muffin.  Yum!  The red beans & rice were fantastic.  The sausage seemed slightly overcooked (a little tough) to me, but it was still good.  The jalapeno cornbread muffin was great too.  I was only able to eat half, however, because I bit into a chunk of jalapeno that was a little too much for me.  The food at this restaurant is definitely flavorful!


My husband had the Cajun Meatloaf with Mashed Potatoes, Mixed Vegetables and a Roll.  I must say, after I took a bite of his meatloaf, I had some serious entree envy!  It was delicious!  Not too spicy, yet still very flavorful.


I also had to take a picture of this amazing looking chocolate chip cheesecake offered at the French Market.  If you have ever watched The Nightmare Before Christmas, you recognize the face of the beloved Jack Skellington.  I didn't purchase one, so I cannot speak to how it tasted, but I absolutely loved the way it looked!  It's little touches like these that really drive a theme home in true Disney-style!

You can read more about Haunted Mansion Holiday's "The Nightmare Before Christmas" theme here!


For my California Adventure food experience, click here!

You can also check out our Downtown Disney food choices by clicking here!



HAVE A MAGICAL DISNEY DAY!
Candice



No comments:

Post a Comment